The Few, the Proud, Your Islanders!

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Ok, I know a lot of parents and basketball fans look down and don't have a favorable view on middle school basketball for many reasons. And yes I admit that puts me in that category. 

My mom would always have a knack of living her life by not judging a book by its cover. The greatness in her was that she actually never preached it, but lived it. She never saw the bad and the ugly in anything. She focused on the good and the positive. OK yes I admit again, I still have a long way to go in that category!

So now I have to say this about middle school ball.

Over the weekend, the end of year tournament for Judson and East Central ISD girls middle school took place. It was a great atmosphere and even greater showing by future athletes going to Judson, Wagner and East Central High Schools.
In the 7th grade division, Metzger Middle School led by Kiana Williams played Legacy Middle School led by Brittany Rodgers. While in the 8th grade division, Judson Middle School led by Lena Wilson played Kirby Middle School led by Belle Tovar.

Both games were as equally as exciting and both games were not settled till the time expired . Above mentioned future High School stars left everything on the table battling every second they were on the court. It was a great experience to be part of, especially seeing other girls step up that normally you wouldn't expect. For the most part, fans for all the teams were positive and engaged. In the end two teams had more points, Metzger for the 7th grade division and Kirby for the 8th grade division. But there is no doubt in my book, everyone came out winners, the players, the fans and more importantly Girls Middle School Basketball! 

Yes there was some bad food and ugly calls, but there was a LOT of GOOD Basketball!

Everywhere you looked there were PROUD moms. So as I walked out of the gym, I looked up to the heavens.

Thanks mom, and yeah I know I still have a long way to go.